April 6, 2024
Today´s Paper

Eco-Friendly Diesel Powers Tren Maya?

TULUM, México – Inauguration of the Tren Maya has sparked a flurry of mixed opinions, as it forges ahead with both critics voicing concerns over its environmental impact and proponents nurturing high expectations. With its launch just a few months away, the Federal Government has already begun releasing information about the routes, tourist destinations, and other attractions that will be part of this ambitious megaproject, spanning five southeastern Mexican states.

Among the numerous revelations about the train today is crucial information about its primary energy source during the journey across the region. As of June this year, the Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources (Semarnat), María Luisa Albores González, revealed that 46% of the transportation’s route will rely on electric power, while the remaining 54% will be fueled by an eco-friendly variant of Petróleos Mexicanos (Pemex) diesel.

According to Semarnat’s projections, the usage of this eco-friendly diesel and the electric-powered segments will result in a reduction of approximately 2.84 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions between 2024 and 2030.

Eco-Friendly Diesel Powers Tren Maya?

But what sets this eco-friendly diesel apart from its conventional counterpart? Currently produced at the recently government-acquired Deer Park refinery, this diesel boasts an incredibly low sulfur content, making it the cleanest fuel ever utilized in the country. The official emphasized that this particular fuel was custom-designed to meet the train’s specific requirements. However, she also mentioned that it will be available for public use, as it will be sold at Pemex gas stations at the current price of regular diesel.

Now, let’s explore the Tren Maya’s extensive route. Comprising 42 trains, this transportation marvel seeks to traverse five states in the country: Chiapas, Tabasco, Campeche, Yucatán, and Quintana Roo. With a focus on facilitating the movement of goods, passengers, and tourists, the route comprises 20 stations and 14 stops, further divided into seven segments:

  1. Tramo 1: Palenque-Escárcega
  2. Tramo 2: Escárcega-Calkiní
  3. Tramo 3: Calkiní-Izamal
  4. Tramo 4: Izamal-Tulum
  5. Tramo 5: Cancún-Tulum
  6. Tramo 6: Tulum-Bacalar
  7. Tramo 7: Bacalar-Escárcega

Furthermore, the ambitious project also entails the development of six hotels, strategically located in Palenque, Chiapas; Nuevo Uxmal, Yucatán; Tulum, Quintana Roo; Chichén Itzá, Yucatán; Calakmul, and Edzná, both situated in the state of Campeche. These accommodations aim to bolster tourism and offer visitors an opportunity to explore some of Mexico’s most cherished historical and natural wonders.

Eco-Friendly Diesel Powers Tren Maya?

As the countdown to the Tren Maya’s launch begins, the nation stands at a crossroads, anticipating the transformation it will bring to the region’s transportation landscape. While environmentalists voice concerns over its ecological impact, the project’s proponents highlight the potential for economic growth and enhanced connectivity. The Tulum Times will continue to cover the developments closely, bringing you comprehensive insights and analysis into this groundbreaking endeavor.


Get Tulum's Latest News Direct to Your Inbox

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *