Cultural Tourism Soars in Tulum, Mexico

July 25, 2024
Today´s Paper

Cultural Tourism Soars in Tulum, Mexico

Cultural Tourism Soars in Tulum, Mexico

Explore Tulum's Archaeological Triumph: Record-Breaking Foreign Visitors Flock to Quintana Roo's Historical Gems.
Cultural Tourism Soars in Tulum, Mexico

TULUM, Mexico – In the vibrant month of September, Tulum’s archaeological site emerged as the undeniable crown jewel, drawing an astonishing 60 percent of the 106,835 visitors who ventured into Quintana Roo’s historical gems. Among these, a remarkable 67.83 percent, a total of 72,463, were foreign tourists, lending their enthusiastic support to the cultural tourism sector.

As we delve into the numbers of September 2023, the archaeological wonders across the state collectively welcomed 106,835 eager visitors. Among them, a majority of 67.83 percent hailed from foreign shores, while the remaining 32.17 percent were proud nationals.

Tulum, with its unparalleled allure, captivated 66.13 percent of these explorers, amounting to an impressive 67,888 visitors. Cobá, another archaeological marvel, claimed a notable 16.68 percent share, enticing 17,120 history enthusiasts. Chachoben, holding its own with undeniable charm, secured the third spot with 9,298 visitors, representing 9.06 percent of the total.

Cultural Tourism Soars in Tulum, Mexico

Other noteworthy sites, such as San Gervasio, reported a 4.88 percent share, welcoming a total of 5,007 curious wanderers. In contrast, El Meco, Kohunlich, El Rey, Muyil, Dzibanché, Xelhá, and Oxtankah saw a more modest influx, with fewer than 100 visitors each, during the patriotic month. These statistics are sourced from the Institutional Statistical Visitor System of the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH).

The pursuit of archaeological tourism is characterized by a unique blend of exploration, contemplation, and scholarly interest in the historical elements of a destination.

Zooming out to encompass the entire year thus far, cultural and archaeological tourism has lured an impressive 1,462,209 travelers through its captivating portals. This data is accurate up to the end of the ninth month of the year. Remarkably, Tulum has emerged as the unassailable leader, boasting a commanding 74.31 percent share, with a staggering 1,040,622 visitors. It’s a feat that brings Tulum tantalizingly close to matching the previous year’s record.

Cultural Tourism Soars in Tulum, Mexico

Recall that in the previous year, the awe-inspiring remnants of Tulum, blessed with stunning vistas of the sea, graciously welcomed a colossal 1,405,140 visitors, contributing to the state’s overall count of 1,895,754 tourists across all Quintana Roo’s points of interest. Tulum continues to stand as a testament to the enduring allure of Mexico’s archaeological treasures.

Get Tulum's Latest News Direct to Your Inbox

Maybe you will be interested

Kloud Returns to Zamna Tulum with KEINEMUSIK

Kloud Returns to Zamna Tulum with KEINEMUSIK

TULUM, Mexico—Zamna Tulum has eagerly announced Kloud’s return to the exotic jungle of Tulum in 2025 in collaboration with KEINEMUSIK. This highly anticipated event promises

Unique Cocktails Greet Tourists at Tulum Airport

Unique Cocktails Greet Tourists at Tulum Airport

Tourists arriving at Tulum’s Felipe Carrillo Puerto International Airport receive unique cocktails made with local ingredients, thanks to a collaboration between restaurants and municipal authorities.