TULUM, México – In June 2020, AMLO set the wheels in motion for the ambitious Tren Maya project – a venture that has been shrouded in controversy due to concerns about its environmental impact. Three years later, with its completion on the horizon, have you ever wondered about its route and the array of stations it will traverse?
Naturally, keeping track of the updates shared by AMLO’s government over the past three years hasn’t been the easiest task. Now, as the calendar inches closer to its grand inauguration in December 2023, we take this opportunity to delve into the intricate details of the Tren Maya, exploring the numerous segments that comprise it, the multitude of stations it will grace, and, of course, the course it will chart through Mexico’s southern splendors.
The Spectacular Route of Tren Maya: Like a grand circuit, the Tren Maya will weave through the Mexican states of Chiapas, Quintana Roo, Yucatán, Campeche, and Tabasco, covering a staggering total of approximately 1,554 kilometers. To achieve this feat, the project was meticulously divided into seven segments, each with its own unique allure and cultural charm:
- Palenque-Escárcega (Approx. 228 km): The journey commences, transporting passengers through awe-inspiring landscapes.
- Escárcega-Calkiní (Approx. 235 km – Golfo 1): The train winds its way towards Calkiní, revealing the coastal beauty of the Gulf.
- Calkiní-Izamal (Approx. 172 km – Golfo 2): Exploring the heart of Yucatán, the Tren Maya embraces the splendor of Izamal.
- Izamal-Cancún ARPT (Approx. 257 km – Golfo 3): Heading to the famous resort city, this segment captivates with every kilometer.
- Cancún ARPT-Tulum ARPT (Approx. 121 km – Caribe 2): An enchanting coastal journey connecting two alluring airports.
- Tulum ARPT-Bacalar (Approx. 254 km – Caribe 1): The Caribbean allure continues, showcasing the hidden charm of Bacalar.
- Bacalar-Escárcega (Approx. 287 km – Selva 2): Returning to Escárcega, this final stretch traverses the verdant embrace of the jungle.
A Tale of Stations and Stops
The Tren Maya adventure wouldn’t be complete without its remarkable stations – hubs of activity that will beckon explorers and wanderers alike. In total, 42 trains will embark on this grand journey, making pit stops at 21 stations, each boasting a seamless blend of commercial, recreational, and hospitality spaces, all seamlessly connected to nearby hotels and tourist attractions.
In addition to the main stations, the Tren Maya will feature more than 10 smaller stops, akin to charming outposts for those seeking shorter excursions. A glimpse into the stations across the segments reveals:
- Palenque (Chiapas)
- Boca del Cerro (Tabasco)
- El Triunfo (Tabasco)
- Escárcega (Campeche)
- Paraderos: Tenosique, Candelaria
- Edzná (Campeche)
- S.F. Campeche (Campeche)
- Paraderos: Carrillo Puerto, Petenes, Tenabo, Hecelchakán, Calkiní
- Mérida Aeropuerto (Yucatán)
- Teya (Yucatán)
- Izamal (Yucatán)
- Paraderos: Maxcanú, Tixkokob
- Chichén Itzá (Yucatán)
- Valladolid (Yucatán)
- Nuevo Xcán (Quintana Roo)
- Paraderos: Xibalbá, Leona Vicario
- Cancún Aeropuerto (Quintana Roo)
- Puerto Morelos (Quintana Roo)
- Playa del Carmen (Quintana Roo)
- Paraderos: Xcaret, Puerto Aventuras, Akumal
- Tulum (Quintana Roo)
- Tulum Aeropuerto (Quintana Roo)
- F. C Puerto (Quintana Roo)
- Bacalar (Quintana Roo)
- Chetumal Aeropuerto (Quintana Roo)
- Paradero: Limones
- Xpujil (Campeche)
- Paraderos: Conhuas, Centenario
Costs, Considerations, and the Future
Regarding the costs, no official information has been released thus far. Nevertheless, there have been speculations, with former Fonatur chief Rogelio Jiménez Pons suggesting that the fare for Mexican nationals may be set at 50 pesos. Meanwhile, for foreign tourists, ticket prices are estimated to range between 40 and 50 USD, approximately 678.4 to 846 pesos. However, we eagerly await the government of Mexico’s official announcement to shed light on this aspect.
The Tren Maya stands as a testament to Mexico’s commitment to both progress and preserving its natural splendors. As the countdown continues to its highly anticipated inauguration, travelers and explorers the world over eagerly await the chance to embark on this mesmerizing journey through Mexico’s heart and soul.